ABOUT THE CONTEST
In 1921, Vinnorma Shaw designed a poster to commemorate the Missouri Centennial and advertise the Missouri Centennial Exposition at the Missouri State Fair. One hundred years later, what should a Missouri Bicentennial poster look like?
Missouri students, help the Missouri Bicentennial Commission commemorate the state's 200th anniversary by submitting a design concept for the Missouri Bicentennial poster. Four concepts will be chosen, with each winner receiving $200 and a certificate acknowledging his/her achievement, as well as an invitation to attend the poster unveiling.
The contest is open to elementary school students (grades 3–6) and secondary school students (grades 7–12) within Missouri’s 114 counties, as well as the independent City of St. Louis. A student’s grade level for the 2019–2020 school year will determine his/her eligibility and judging category.
- Entries should interpret the theme: Sharing Missouri’s stories—past, present, and future.
- Students should use two-dimensional art media (i.e. paints, crayons, colored pencils or collage) and ensure the media will transfer to a poster format.
- Designs should be 8.5"×11" and vertically oriented.
- Only entries created by individual students without assistance— with the exception of appropriate assistive technology devices— will be considered.
- Only one entry per student will be considered.
- Entries must be received no later than October 31, 2020.
Additionally, the Commission will only accept two entries per judging category per eligible sponsoring institution, which include nonprofit arts agencies, cultural heritage and educational institutions (e.g. museums and historical societies, 4-H clubs, private and public schools, homeschool networks, etc.), and public libraries.
The judging committee will select two winning design concepts from both the elementary and secondary levels. The committee will include members of the Missouri Bicentennial Commission and arts professionals. Judges will evaluate entries based on the following criteria:
- Interpretation of the contest theme: Sharing Missouri’s stories— past, present, and future.
- The originality of the submission.
- Consideration of geographic and cultural diversity.
- Aesthetic quality; i.e. the art submission should be appealing to the eye.
- Overall artistic ability; i.e. degree of creativity and skill for its age group.
- Ability to translate the concept into a final poster design.
Sponsoring institutions must submit each entry through the online application form below. Once the application form is complete and submitted, it must be printed and mailed with the artwork to:
The State Historical Society of Missouri
Attn: Missouri Bicentennial Poster
605 Elm Street Columbia, MO 65201
Submitted artwork will not be returned.
Winning design concepts will be announced no later than December 15, 2020. The winning designs will be refined to create four different Missouri Bicentennial posters for use during the bicentennial commemoration. All entries received by the deadline will also be featured on the Missouri 2021 website and social media channels through the end of the bicentennial commemoration.