Nearly a century ago, the Missouri State Fair Board published a “handbook of suggestions” for celebrating the Missouri Centennial. Dr. E. M. Violette provided a number of suggestions for local communities:
- unveil historical tablets marking events of “local importance”
- produce a dramatic presentation of Missouri history
- create an exhibit of “historical relics”
- arrange speeches on Missouri history
- enliven the occasion with bands and musical performances
A century later – in our fast paced digital age – what suggestions would you give to commemorate the Missouri Bicentennial in your local community? Please share feedback on Missouri 2021’s Facebook page. You can also read the entire handbook of suggestions online.